Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Friday, July 31, 2015

Making Mesh Pockets

I've become a big fan of mesh pockets in my totes and purses. I like them because I can see the contents of the pocket; oh, and they are really easy to make!

All you need is some mesh. I checked out JoAnn Fabrics and found some tulle. I don't particularly care for it, so I've stuck with my go-to: laundry bags! I purchased pop-up hampers from Big Lots and recently discovered these from Target. I like the ones from Target because they are big (36" x 24"), so they work perfectly for my bigger sewing projects.

 






Here's what you need to do:

1. Cut your pocket to the correct size. My pocket sides and bottom are sewn into the seams, so think about that. You might have to put the binding all the way around.

2. Cut and make binding. I have a tutorial if you've never made it. I prefer my method because one side is wider than the other. This should be the length of your pocket (or whatever won't be sewn into the seams).


3. Place the narrow side of the binding on top of the mesh as shown. Line up along the edges. This will be the back of the pocket.

















4. Sew in the fold. I use a walking foot - it feeds more evenly.

I don't pin. I just go slowly, making sure that the edges stay lined up.












If you need to, sew binding where it's needed. This pocket is on the inside of a big tote (it's part of the side panel/gusset). You'll see the binding at the bottom of the pocket. I didn't want a pocket that was too deep. I made this pocket about 2" wider than the side panel and created a pleat in the bottom. UPDATE: Here's how to create a Pleated Mesh Pocket.








5. Flip over and wrap binding over to the other side (this will be the front.)














6. Sew the binding to the mesh as shown. 




7.  Attach the pocket. Sew dividers as desired!


You could make this zippered if you wanted!









Here it is!

You can purchase the pattern for this purse insert on Craftsy and Etsy.












2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I have not worked with mesh or made any mesh pockets but I'd like to in the not too distant future. I will definitely be using your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...