Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Foot Fun

I've been a little preoccupied lately with listening to and grading speeches, but I declared this weekend to be my sewing weekend. I spent most of Saturday talking to my family in Michigan who, oddly enough, were without power for almost two days. Yes, Sandy spared me (and I live in NY) but my family who lives 330 miles west of me were not so lucky. It did teach me a lesson - get a gas fireplace!

I managed to squeeze in a little sewing time. I hemmed a pair of dress pants using a blind hemstitch and my Bernina Foot #5. I rarely use this stitch so I had to go online for a tutorial. I found this one at We All Sew. This tutorial will help anyone with any machine brand. The feet are basically the same. The foot is a real gem and it comes with most machines. You might be thinking, "I don't hem." And that's fine, but this foot can be used for more than hemming. 

I wrote a previous article about the Edgestitch Foot. You can often use the blind hemstitch foot instead of the edgestitch foot. Recently, I was showing a friend how to sew double-fold bias tape. When she was top stitching the bias tape (the final step) she exclaimed, "I can't sew a straight line!" I looked in her foot collection and found the Janome Adjustable Blind Hem Stitch foot. She attached the foot, made some adjustments, lined up the guide, and sewed a perfectly straight line! So, yes, you might have some feet that are designed for one thing but can be used for other things. I really encourage you to explore your owner's manual and visit the manufacturer's website for tips and directions.

it was wonderful getting back in my sewing room to sew even if it was only to hem a pair of pants. I did manage to set aside some time today go to Ithaca for the first meeting of the local Modern Quilt Guild. I'm hoping for a little inspiration!

If you are interested in making and/or sewing double fold bias tape, head over to my Craftsy Pattern Store for some free tutorials!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! this is incredible really. I also want to join the class of Edgestitch Foot.. I think it is a good experience of newbies like me:) your work is absolutely fantastic really. Good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
      is a great thing in my life today.

      Delete
  2. I have gne through your previous blog too it was really interesting and i had enjoyed reading it just like this one. You are a creative lady with having many skills at the same time. Sewing and designing is not a job anyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...