Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Friday, June 22, 2012

The Simple Slipcover...ALL DONE!!


YAY! I'm all done with my first slipcover. It was a lot easier than I anticipated - well...once I sewed it together and ripped it apart, I got the concept. And I have to say...I loved making it. Wow...could I be addicted to slips???

Here are my suggestions (in no particular order):

1. With the Pink and Polka Dot method, there really isn't a seam allowance. But when I needed one (because I measured), I used 1/2". I added an extra 1 1/2" to the bottom for a hem.


2. Overcast or zig-zag raw edges so it doesn't fray when it's washed.


3. A hot iron is your friend. In some cases, I pinned and pressed. It helped me keep seams straight.

4. They are right...pin, pin, pin. And fit it wrong side out. Notice that the top corners are rounded. It fits the cushion better.


5. A good fabric marker works wonders. I did a lot of marking.

6. My corner box pleat is faux. I cut a piece of fabric that was 10" wide and the same length as the side panels. I hemmed the sides.





You can see the corner here.














7. The heavy-duty drop cloth is easy to sew. I prefer it over cotton duck because it doesn't wrinkle as easily. It is a cotton/poly blend. 

The seams are a bit bulky, but this handy tool helped keep my foot in the correct position. Next time I make one, I may just overcast the edges and fold it up once.





 






8. Lengthen your stitches. I sewed most of this at about 3mm. I did this because that fabric is heavy. It feeds through the machine better at a longer stitch.









Next project? Slipcover the green chair. I'm a bit scared!

6 comments:

  1. It came out beautiful! I have a round ottoman so not sure how I would transfer your technique to make it round. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....maybe I'll do a post on that! You could take the round top, sew an unpleated side to it (mine was about 7" long), then add the pleated part to the bottom. To determine the location of your pleats, you'd just do some folding and marking. I'll see what I can come up with!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully done! I have covered a chair and ottoman a few times and I was just winging it. Love your faux pleat - I'm totally doing that next time! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw that faux pleat on a valance at a friend's house several years ago. She hung two tension rods -- the valance was made up of three panels in the front and two "pleated" panels in the back. It was rounded at the bottom. Where the the panels came together exposed the faux pleat behind it. I stuck that in long-term memory!

      Delete
  3. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...