Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sewing Spaces: Tables


Many of you sew on the dining room table or some temporary table, so I can't help you much with that. But if you have an old (or new table) that you'd like to spruce up, why not try the 1970s classic: Mod Podge.

When I started to assemble my studio, I didn't have much money, so I made my own tables with hollow core doors and IKEA Vika Kaj adjustable table legs.

By making tables myself, I could ensure that they were at the correct height and could handle the weight of the machines. I quickly learned that hollow core doors (like many folding tables) bounce when the machine vibrates. So I glued a piece of particle board to the top. The tables no longer bounced but I had a new problem: rough edges.

The solution came to me when I was handed a box of old patterns. I bought myself several containers of Mod Podge and immediately went to work gluing them to the table tops.


Nothing particularly difficult here - I primed the tables first, then ripped up the patterns; I dumped the Mod Podge on the tables and took my roller and spread it around.

Next, I patted the patterns on the tables, pulled them down over the edge, and glued them to the underside of the wood.

I didn't care if they tore or wrinkled. I overlapped them, some are wrong side up. I was in a big hurry (I was opening my studio in three days!), so my focus was to simply get the job done.

Once the Mod Podge dried, I did a light sanding to work down the wrinkles. I applied one more coat. The final coat was water-based polyurethane. 










Add some stickers!
I recommend using real Mod Podge and polyurethane. These tables take a lot of wear and tear and they've held up; I think that's due to the quality of the products. And, unlike with some home-made products, the finish hasn't yellowed or cracked at all.


I get a lot of comments on the tables; my next project will be to cover a dresser that's in the studio!


Tomorrow it's on to cheap project boards! 

3 comments:

  1. Great post Bia! You really did a awesome job, I love working on DIY projects. I came across your blog while I was looking for adjustable table legs and I'm so happy I did because you have definitely inspired me. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I closed my studio and sold some of my tables - and they went very quickly. But now I've done the same thing at home! YAY! Love those adjustable legs..love IKEA!

      Delete
  2. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...