Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Monday, March 26, 2012

Sewing Spaces: Go Mobile

This week we'll explore our sewing spaces. Up until a few years ago, I sewed in my old, unfinished basement and then in a bedroom that I converted into a sewing room. The basement was gross, dark, cold, and damp and the sewing room was cramped. Neither was ideal, but I made it work. 

I realized that when I enjoyed my space (the converted bedroom), I enjoyed sewing more. I truly believe when we love where we sew, we love to sew. But often, it's difficult to find a space. I'm lucky to have the room that I have. 

Go Mobile:
In 2009, I moved to an actual studio where I sew and teach lessons. It's about 1000 square feet. Sounds like a dream until you realize that I share this space with everyone who walks through the door. So like many of you, I have to be mobile with my projects.

It took me about two years to figure out what worked for me. I've rearranged a lot, but there are two items that help me keep me sane and organized: a laundry basket and Hefty Jumbo Zip Bags.

Packing up for a class.
The Laundry Basket: I put this near my machine and when I need to pack up, I throw my fabric/scraps, pattern, etc in and toss it on a table in my back room. There is nothing pretty about it - I lightly fold fabric and just fling. I've gotten past being a neat and orderly - it wasn't working for me (it was nice to let go!). If I sewed at home, I'd make sure my laundry basket fit under a bed or in a closet. If your bed is too low, you may want to try bed risers and lift it a bit. Then you have an excuse to make a cute new bed skirt!


















Projects in Hefty Jumbo Bags
Hefty Jumbo Zip Bags: If I have a project with lots of pieces, I put them in a Hefty Jumbo Zip Bag and label it using a Sharpie marker. This gets tossed in the Laundry Basket with all my other stuff. When I'm not working on the project, I use some big thumbtacks and tack it to my project bulletin board. And, as you can see, I'm not too orderly. I'm lucky that they make it that far; so, yes, I don't put pressure on myself to make everything look perfect. My goal is to be able to find things... not win an award for the most pleasant looking sewing space.

For the rest of the week, I'll be sharing ideas with you! Tomorrow you'll see my tables!

1 comment:

  1. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...