Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Purple and Pink Papasan Remake

  

Yesterday I wrote about my friend who is moving back to Michigan. She was getting rid of stuff, so I grabbed one of her papasan chairs. I don't need a papsan (seriously - I'm almost 49 years old!), but I had a feeling that it would be perfect for my friend's 13 year-old daughter. She picked the colors (purple and pink) and I went to work.

The original denim cushion was a circle with a 53" circumference. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in the cover, so I went through my stash of home dec/twill/cotton duck and found a mix of pink, fuchsia, and purple. And here's what I did:

1. I cut a bunch of 9 1/2" squares -- and picked 36 of them - to create six rows of six squares.

2. Using a 1/4" seam, I sewed the squares together to end up with a 54" square.

3. I cut that square into a 54" diameter circle.

4. With RST and using a 1/2" seam, I sewed the circle to a piece of fuchsia baby-whale corduroy. I left an opening that was about 18" or so.

5. I turned it right side out and stuffed the cushion through the opening.

6. I pinned the opening closed and machine stitched it shut. Probably the most difficult part of the project - I just about wiped everything off my sewing machine table.

It took four cans of purple spray paint to cover the frame. It wasn't easy - it was either raining or too humid to paint! But I got it done! YAY!

This project was a lot of fun - and it was a perfect way to use up some of my scraps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...