Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Organization Tip One: Throw It Away

When my sewing friends come to my house, they always comment on how organized my little sewing room is. So I thought I'd share with you some of my organization tips. Keep in mind that I'm a mix of practical and creative, so I like cute colorful things as long as they serve a purpose. I'm also fairly frugal (cheap?) and realistic, which means that I'm good at talking myself out of purchases.

Here's the Tip of the Day: When in doubt, throw it out.

My favorite organizational aid is the trash can. I used to save and collect things (it was ridiculous) but I've trained myself to think like my friend Maria. Maria reads a magazine, tears out what she needs, files the idea, and throws the rest of the magazine away. I learned from her. Then I took it to the next level. I stopped tearing things out. And you want to know why? I never looked at them. Really. Never. I have cute little boxes adorned with neat little labels with matching lids ... all covered in dust. So now I use Pinterest. And when I'm reading Better Homes and Gardens and am tempted to tear, I think, "Will I really use/do this?" If the answer is yes, I use Evernote on my Droid. I take a picture of the idea and catalog it on my phone. Then I recycle the magazine.

I don't save many fabric scraps because I never used them. I have rules like nothing smaller than 2" x 2". It keeps me sane and focused. Clutter weighs down my creative spirit. I know this and, when tempted to save, I ask myself, "Will this little piece of fabric help me be more creative or will it clog up my space (mind)?" I have a arsenal of small project ideas and I only save things that I could use for a particular project. If I can't think of anything, I toss it. And guess what? It hasn't killed me!

This approach isn't for everyone. You also have to be (1) incredibly honest with yourself, (2) disciplined enough to let go of something, and (3) accepting of the fact that you might regret your decision later. If you feel horrible about getting rid of things then donate it to a youth center, the Girl Scouts, or a senior center.

But I can promise that if you start throwing things away, you'll spend less time searching and more time sewing. And that's what it's all about!

2 comments:

  1. I am an avid card maker and like u I tear out pages of my magazines with the cards and directions and file them and trash the rest. But you not on Evernote caught my attention. I do use evernote a lot. But I use it on my Nook Tablet. How would I go about saving my mag. pages to it. If u could elaborate just a bit more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...