Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Today's Project: Fifty Is The New Fabulous Quilt


I started this quilt a few months ago and had to set it aside when I moved my studio back to my house. I dug it back out and hope to get it quilted today. I am on a deadline...it's for my friend's 50th birthday ... so it needs to be done tomorrow...yikes. I don't work well under pressure.

The pattern, Pickety Sticks, is from the book On A Roll Again by Anka's Treasures. It's made from a jelly roll with a muslin foundation. I learned fairly quickly that, as much as I like sewing to muslin, the quilt will be REALLY heavy. I had to pin the columns to my design wall!

The fabric is The Blue Skies Collection by Sharon Holland. I went looking for sashing and border fabric but couldn't find it. So I bought fabric that matched...close enough.









Here it is with the sashing. I just need to add a row to the top and bottom.

PATTERN REVIEW:
As I put this together, I noticed some issues. According to the book, the final size of the quilt is 66 1/2" x 85" - but when I measured, mine was wider - more like 68 1/2" x 85." That's a huge difference, so I did some calculations and my measurements are correct. Whooww... I was a bit worried about my piecing skills!

Secondly, the author gives no backing directions - no yardage...just "a 73" x 89" piece of backing fabric. So I had to get out the calculator to determine that it's 5 yards. 





I'm trying to get it quilted (free motion with the BSR on a Bernina 580) but my cat has other things in mind.

And if you are wondering about my free motion skills, I'm an "all-over meandering" type of gal. I think there are two schools of thought with free motion: (1) I want to win a contest and (2) It's a gift from the heart. I used to be the former, but not anymore.


All done!
And yes, this quilt is heavy...not quite as heavy as the lead vest at the dentist office, so not to worry.


Right now it's in the washing machine and I'm about to make the label. 


This is a special happy birthday to my friend. She IS fabulous. She's a wife, a mom, and a business owner. And she just celebrated her tenth cancer-free year! YAY Michelle!

1 comment:

  1. A little note to let everybody know about the powerful work of doctor chimnedum herbal home. My name is Gazalee from Malaysia and i was ones a HEPATITIS and HBP victim until i read about Dr chimnedum herbal home online on how he cured so many people with herbal remedies,and i contacted him for help and he really helped, after i applied his herbal remedies. i am testifying to this great Dr chimnedum herbal home because i want everybody to be informed so that you will contact him today for your cure, Contact him through: dr.chimnedumherbalhome1616@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2347086675538,I'm healed,
    is a great thing in my life today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...