Pages

 photo Home_zpspchzwjez.png  photo Patterns_zpsffe5v7nd.png  photo Tutorials_zpsplo1y0ea.png  photo 193faa8a-319f-4666-9915-a2cc9af19bda_zpsah1i88qv.png  photo 1aff47d5-9779-4086-ae8c-7c8a885b6c47_zpsyyyqf1xu.png

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sewing Spaces: Pressing & Ironing

I love my big ironing boards and so do the people who sew in my studio. And they aren't that difficult to make!

Here's what you need:
  1. Particle Board: this works because it doesn't have a grain. The grain will raise when heat/steam is applied so don't use anything with a grain. Some wood like plywood will warp when steam is applied. I had mine cut to 36" x 48" at the store.
  2. Batting: I used Warm and Natural and Bump (which isn't easy to find - it's a heavy interlining that is used in drapes. I managed to find some at Calico Corners). If you can't find any, use two layers of Warm & Natural.
  3. Fabric: I used cotton quilting fabric.
  4. Staples and a Staple Gun: Here's some great info on stapling.
  5. Scissors
Then I followed the directions from Martha Stewart

I put these on two Six Cube Organizers from Closetmaid (purchased on sale at Target). These are the perfect height - 36" - Using L brackets, I screwed the top to the organizers. I left enough space between the organizers to stick some of my cardboard Banker's Boxes. To cover my mess, I made and installed some curtains on rods.

I purchased six baskets that hold scraps of fabric. Eventually I'll get around to labeling them.

The ironing boards did warp a bit but not enough to matter. They also smelled like chemicals for the first few months of use. 

I've had these for three years and they get used A LOT. I've changed the fabric covers only once. As much as I like the pink, I'll go back to tan tones because they hide the stains better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...